Friday, July 31, 2009

Friday Five: The Air Condition Edition

1. This week is my launch week, as you guys know, because I can't stop talking about it. Tomorrow is the official release date.

I have been informed that even though SHIVER was not technically out last week, its sales numbers were almost good enough to land it on the bestseller list.

Um, that is crazysauce.

Also, hugely exciting. I confess that as a writer, there are other milestones that would thrill me more than landing on the bestseller list (like getting a life sized statue of myself erected in some North Carolina town which will then be named after me), however, the idea of landing on the list does excite me, for the following reason.

All along, I told everyone that if I ever landed on the bestseller list for any of my books, I would put air conditioning in my car, Loki, and paint him black with white stripes. I am uncertain now about the painting black with white stripes, as I've sort of gotten used to his extremely ostentatious red paint, but as I sit here and swelter in 90 degree weather, I am wishing very much that Loki had air-co. Because basically I can't drive him until November as it stands. Not only is the car lacking in air-co, but the driver is positioned perfectly behind a V8 engine that gives off more heat than a star. Well, not all stars. Just those little ones. Brown dwarves? Scientists found one that is only 770 degrees Fahrenheit.

That's about right.

Anyway, bestseller list aside, the first few weeks of a book's life are crucial, so if you were thinking of buying SHIVER, or coercing your aunt into buying SHIVER, or thinking of buying copies of a single book for every member of your extended family, or anything like that, I'd be obliged if you did it in the next two weeks.

And . . . if SHIVER makes it onto the bestseller list next week, I'm going to let blog readers vote on whether I repaint Loki black with white stripes or merely give him a better red with black stripes. Sound cool? I'm putting my car's coolness fate IN YOUR HANDS.

2. Today I was doing a newspaper interview for a story appearing tomorrow while playing blocks with Thing 2. It seems to me this is a metaphor for my entire life.

3. Last night, I won tickets to a screening of the The Time Traveler's Wife in D.C.! It is a symbol of my hopeful love for this movie that I am willing to brave I-95, The Satanic Interstate of Borrowed Licenses and Wicked BMW Drivers, to go see it. Oh movie, you had better not suck.

4. Cat poo is the worst smell in the world. Especially after the cat has eaten a ravioli.

5. My Friday song is not a new one, but rather a video that came out when I was 4 and probably is the entire reason I write the sort of novels I write. Thanks, Mom, for leaving VH1 on all the time. Thank goodness it wasn't something like Vanilla Ice.


8 comments:

ElegantSnobbery said...

Oooh, I love that video... and the literal video translation of it!

Also, okay, my hubby has banned me from buying books until next month... so do you know of any book-selling sites that accept PayPal?

Yes, I'm a sneaky, bad person for (potentially) buying a book behind his back using an account that he doesn't have passwords for, and therefore doesn't have any idea how much money I have squirreled away for selfish purchases such as buying 'Shiver'.... but really, I'd be doing it for YOU, Maggie, in hopes of helping you get to the best seller list... So that wouldn't be a selfish purchase, right? :D

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Wow, I feel rather duplicitous! I know you can find it on bookstores that put it on ebay (I tried to link but Blogger wouldn't let me) and that would count. You just have to search for SHIVER Stiefvater.

I appreciate it but if it will make troubles, my air co can wait! *grin*

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Oooh, also half.com, which is an eBay company.

ElegantSnobbery said...

Oh great! I didn't even think Ebay had new books, so I didn't think to go there. Awesome. And thanks!

Jazz said...

WOW, that's a hot car. You must go cruising for chicks all the time.

I think if you had listened to "Ice Ice Baby" way back when, you would still have written a book called SHIVER, but it would have been about a girl in love with a boy who wears shiny pants every winter. Can Grace stand the embarrassment? Did true love end in the 80s? Will vampire!Freddie Mercury rise from the grave to end Sam's reign of bassline theft?

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Jaz - HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!

Solvang Sherrie said...

This is probably my favorite video ever. It was so innovative for when it came out. The song makes no sense whatsoever to me, but I love the video =)

Maggie Stiefvater said...

*sigh* I know. . .

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...